Follow Me on Twitter
Slideshow Image 1

Recent Posts

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

On a few rainy days...

An old rusted compartment, deep blue window grills, brown rail tracks, green fields with white birds, grey clouds in the distance, the colorless rain water. It was a journey filled with colors. A plenty of them rioting with one other.I looked around to find that the seats were half full. With just one other person for my company I knew it was gonna be a warm journey home. It started raining the moment the train left Egmore till it reached the outskirts of Madurai, it rained all the way.And i was sharing the excitement with all the other faces that i met on the road.The train was traveling into the rain, i had never seen such a long rain all my life. My vision of rain was limited as everybody else. Rain meant a little pond of water in the front yard and a few hanging drops in my window grill. But to see it rain so wide for hundreds of kilometers did change my perceptions a little. Rain is magnificent, Rain is huge, Rain is not the drops which we see from earth but the drops that pour from the sky which we never see. Rain ends its long journey from the heavens at our feet. And we join it at the very last seconds of its living. Rain as such can never be seen with eyes, it can just be felt.

It has stopped raining sometime back, I stood under the little mango tree in the front yard and the last dew drops of the previous rain just drizzled on me. The leaves look fresh with water drops, I touched them and it shivered a little. The world looks like a different place to me, the suns light looks filtered by a silky cloth somewhere in the sky and the place is filled with a pure silver light.People look beautiful than they really are. The faces are filled with a warm smile , void of worries, i wonder rain how has always had that power to evade worries.The room is still asleep, and some kind of joy is hidden in every sleeping eye, I just feel like making the bed by the window, staring at the dark clouds filling the sky, hearing some music for the heart shrinking myself like a kid and dreaming about a better life.I just love the rain, it always inspires me, in its presence im feeling good, im feeling contended, im feeling lucky.

A rainy evening.There is no power at my place and i get to the little sit out of ours to feel the rain of the day. It's raining as it would rain in the hell. Raining like hell, raining like a curse. Its dark everywhere no streetlights no colors. It is raining like the very first rain on earth and i see it right in front of the eye. It's all black white and grey. Shades of them, dark and light, pale and full. The lighting interludes and you see a picture painted for the heavens. It is not joyful as always, at times rain too threatens. It is not kind anymore it tries to fill in the space with noise and fear. The yellow light from the little candle fights with the emptiness of the dark and fails.it paints a sad little story of the fighting candle. Some kind of pain is evoked and you could see it floating and joining the water flowing across the streets.I sit and stare at the candle. I sit. I stare. And it rains with noise and fear.

Sleepless night. I lie motionless on my bed. With closed eyes i keep staring. Staring at god. He stares back and we just avoid each other. I know he is hurt too.It will take time to heal. Why heal? let it not heal when it bleeds.... let it bleed. I open my eyes it is all dark and it is raining at my window. And i hear the rain, i hear it for the first time in my life. Like a thousand guitars playing a wild tune, it rains. I hear the frogs, a hundred of them screeching. I wonder if it is raining at your window or just mine? Why does rain change its mood often, no it doesn't change its mood, it just wears mine. It laughed when i laughed, it cries when i cry, it bursts when i burst, it becomes me. It rains just for me. I close my eyes again. I could hear the orchestra of the wild rain. I live in a closed room. But i could feel the rain breaking the walls and pouring on me. All those drops made in the sky pour on me and it joins the little drops made by my eyes.I get dissolved. I become the rain. I am the rain. And let it rain. And when it all ends ill wake up to see the sun shine at my window. ill wake up to heal, ill wake up to live, ill go out to see the little pond that the rain has made in my front yard, ill go out to feel the freshness the rain brought with it. Ill go out knowing that it rained just for me.

I'm thankful that it rained.

10 comments:

Ganga said...

On a downswing or what? Hope its 99 problems but a bitch ain't one. kidding..;p

Lovely post, gets the readers drenched too.
//Why does rain change its mood often, no it doesn't change its mood, it just wears mine. It laughed when i laughed, it cries when i cry, it bursts when i burst, it becomes me. It rains just for me.//
True true...

Travis Bickle said...

//People look beautiful than they really are. The faces are filled with a warm smile , void of worries, i wonder rain how has always had that power to evade worries.//

As it passes by The dew has fallen,
The full moon barely touches On all the spikes of blackthorn
Fishhooks in the waves. There hang little drops.

This is pure observation. Its aptness and precision will make
anyone, however crude his receptivity, feel the power of poetry and
recognise—forgive the banality—the living image which the author has caught.

And although I am very chary of making comparisons with other
art forms, this particular example from poetry seems to me close to
the truth of cinema, with the difference that prose and poetry use
words by definition, while a film is born of direct observation of life;
that, in my view, is the key to poetry in cinema. For the cinema
image is essentially the observation of a phenomenon passing
through time. . Andrey Tarkovsky

Keep Observing,Keep Sharing.

uma kumar said...

I just love rains....be it a drizzle or a heavy down pour...

last sunday we went to marina when it was cloudy..yet sun was there...it drizzled and we saw
a faint rainbow over the beach...then it appeared as if to encircle the entire sea

ur post highlighted the many dimensions of rain and its moods...

we can have a little contest here...
how many of words of "Rain" are there
in the post?
ha ha

Vignesh said...

@Ganga

Downswing?? kinda :)n as always lets hope...
thanks...

@travis
"Andrey Tarkovsky" thanks for quoting him... it means a lot, and in a way his movies deal with the poeticity of happenings right? letting us interpret..

@Uma
Long time :) It feels good to get comments from some:)thanks

If ur gonna give the prizes away lets have a contest...(btw word rain was used 45 times...45!!!)

Travis Bickle said...

I am not that good enough to interpret tarkovsky,i have sent a mail to you check it,that book is written by andrey tarkovsky himself,that book is like bible to me,a true observation of life and cinema,read it and tell me.

Revathi said...

Where have u been sir? :)
Long time!!
Lovely post!! :)
u have not lost ur touch i see!! ;)

Vignesh said...

@Travis
Hey i got d e-book lemme read n let u know... n also thanks a ton:)

@Revs
Whr was i..?very much here, but caught in the myriad

hmmm tat is a long story:) ill let u gys know and thanks for dropping in:)

Anu said...

hey ur finally back :)!! Love rain too.. i can sit and watch it for hours.. miss chennai rains and the manvasanai.. btw whats with the down mood.. parts of the post sounded dark?

Vignesh said...

@Anu

I think im back...Thanks:) U don get manvasanai out there? poor thing..

N down mood... Yup u guessed it right, was a bit down for sometime now... It showed. Now back on track :)

The Seeker said...

I'm thankful that it rained.

I'm glad that it rained.

eXTReMe Tracker